Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dr. D

Drones. And, not only that, his drone's in double-time (yes, it's possible). Think bored micro machines man. This is why I could not attend his lectures the past couple of weeks, where he was scheduled for an unprecedented 14 hours. I believe that was a first for any professor thus far in my medical school career. I could take him for an hour here or there, but 14 hours over 4 days was just too much. I can't type or process information that quickly.

To make matters worse, was the material: skin AND musculoskeletal pathologies. Can you imagine the assault? Seborrheic keratoses, acanthosis nigricans, keratoacanthoma, actinic keratosis, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, dermatitis herpetiformis, osteogenesis imperfecta, mucopolysaccharidoses, osteoporosis (OK, something I recognize), osteopetrosis (didn't you just mention that? Oh, osteoPETrosis), osteoma, osteoid osteoma, osteoblastoma, osteosarcoma, osteochondroma, chondroblastoma, chondromyxoid fibroma, Ewing sarcoma, giant cell tumor, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rhematoid arthritis, seronegative sphondyloarthropathies. . . the list was endless.

How I managed to retain any information about a fraction of the pathologies presented is a mystery (miracle?).

In all fairness, though, Dr. D cared that we had all the information we needed not only for this latest exam, but for the boards. His PowerPoint presentations were very organized and during lecture, he gave examples of the types of questions he would ask for some of the main pathologies. The problem is that you had to slow down the audio to catch that.

Dr. D wrote a good portion of the questions on my exam this week. As I was reading the questions, I could hear him saying the key phrases, but I couldn't remember which of the hundred or so pathologies he was talking about. If only I hadn't procrastinated so much the week before the exam. . . It's just so hard to be "on" all the time. I'm not looking forward to receiving the score on this one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you and I would get along splendidly. You're Dr. D. sounds like my Dr. S. I'm so sorry, it's awful isn't it? Good luck. You certainly seem smart enough to do very well.

DC Med Student said...

Thanks, Anne. I think this is just one of those potholes in the long well-traveled journey to M.D.hood.

DC Med Student said...

I think I meant to write "road" instead of "journey." It's been a long day. Need to get some sleep.