Monday, August 27, 2007

10 Years

Do you remember the movie "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" starring Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino? Romy and Michele have spent the ten years since high school graduation living nondescript lives when they receive invitations to their ten year high school reunion. In an attempt to impress their former classmates, they decide to attend the affair as successful business women -- the inventors of Post-its. LOL, I loved that movie!

Coincidentally, the movie came out the year I graduated from high school, and this summer, my ten year high school reunion was held. When I received the invitation, I couldn't believe that the time had come. Had it really been ten years already?

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out West for the weekend of festivities. Thankfully, however, I did receive a link to the reunion photo album, which provided all the highlights. Let me tell you, I was stunned by some of the physical changes that some of my former classmates had made. I could hardly recognize some of them. My favorite shots, though, were those of the babies playing together at the family picnic. It was simply amazing to see where we all had ended up over the past ten years.

For me, the past ten years hold the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Highs: getting into and graduating from "a fancy east coast college", semester abroad, first long-term relationship (2+ years), getting into medical school. Lows: the death of my mother and the subsequent complicated grief. (My mother's death was earth-shattering -- and I mean earth-shattering. It was two full years before I was able to stand on my own two feet again. I'm very grateful to my friends, professors, deans, therapists, and those I consider family for supporting and guiding me through that tumultuous period.)

I wonder what the next ten years will hold for me. Where will I end up for residency? Will I end up back on the west coast, where I want to be? What specialty will I pursue?

Two things I know for sure: I'm proud of what I've accomplished and my future is bright. No Post-it inventing story needed here.

No comments: