Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cleanup

A second-year medical student has spent the past week studying intensely for their first exams of the school year. Household chores, grocery shopping, exercise and sleep have all taken a back seat to quality time with Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple, BRS: Pathology, Katzung & Trevor's Pharmacology, Robinns and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease and First Aid: USMLE Step 1. Unpleasant odors, emanating from the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom closet, are beginning to overwhelm the medical student's apartment. Now that examinations have been held, the medical student should do which of the following?

  1. Continue working at the same breakneck pace, they'll get used to the foul odors
  2. Go to Disneyland
  3. Take a day to regroup and get rid of the foul odors
  4. Take the rest of the week off to regroup and get rid of the foul odors

As much as I would like to choose (b) or (d), those are not viable options. And, as tempting as choice (a) is, I think I’m just going to go with (c).

In one of my earliest posts, I mentioned how my apartment becomes a disaster area in the days leading up to exams. It’s a universal truth that your external environment will match your internal one. There’s a definite link between the two. In order to handle the flood of new information over the next weeks, I need to be able to think clearly. In order to think clearly, I need to be able to see clearly. I need to see an empty sink, an empty (or at least not overflowing) laundry bin, clean counters, clean floors – a clean living environment. It does no good to start the morning being grossed out by a filthy shower or by what you find growing in the kitchen sink.

So, I’m off to get my apartment in order. It really shouldn’t take that long. Then it’s off to the grocery store for some fresh fruits and vegetables. I’ll round out the day by catching up with friends and family and watching those Netflix DVDs that have been sitting here for over a month. It’s me time.

No comments: