Sunday, August 5, 2007

Orientation MSII

Welcome to the most important year of your medical school career. Be prepared to work even harder than first year, and make sure you are reviewing for the USMLE Step 1, arguably the most important examination of your entire medical careers.

That was the message conveyed to my class at the Medical School Year II Orientation last week. A lot of emphasis was placed on lecture attendance and participation in scheduled small group discussion sessions. My sense was that attendance during previous years was very much considered optional by those classes. Perhaps that is why the second year lecture hall is significantly smaller than the first year lecture hall. Or is that why attendance was so low, because students did not have seats when they did show up for lecture?

I feel ready and look forward to tackling this critical year of medical school. I am taking every step necessary to ensure my success. I have my textbooks and review books. I am pre-reading for lectures. I am reviewing the heck out of lectures. I know that it is up to me to learn this material.

One week down, roughly 36 more to go. I hope I can maintain the fast pace of this marathon.

2 comments:

Sid Schwab said...

Yeah, you have to do well at all stages; but it was interesting to me to see how little correlation there seemed to be between those who did well in those "lecture years" and those who did well in clinical medicine.

Meanwhile: I like your Mandela quote. It makes me think of the speech Bill Clinton recently made at Harvard (all over youtube, etc) wherein he mentioned visiting some tribe in Africa, saying that their word of greeting when passing another on a road means "I see you."

DC Med Student said...

Thank you, Dr. Schwab.

Yes, I too enjoyed Clinton's speech at this year's Class Day at Harvard. I think we all need to be more cognizant of our shared humanity. The world would be a better place.

BTW: The quote is actually from another great South African, Desmond Tutu.